Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Flat Rib Popover Vest and Poll



I finished my Flat Rib Popover vest last week, blocked it, and almost cried.  Swatch. Swatch. Swatch.  Will I never learn?  I always think I'm a "normal, average, usual" knitter.  I used the exact yarn called for in the pattern; the needle size called for; and knitted the pattern with no modifications (except the plan to leave a slit in the hem when constructing it).


There's Oversized... and then, there is ginormous.  I LOVE the fabric of this piece and was able to salvage it by 1) crocheting across the back neckline using a 4.0 mm hook doing single crochets in every other stitch, thus tightening without gathering and giving a firm neckline so it didn't want to slide off my shoulders every few minutes and 2) belting the soft draped fabric worked for a more fitted look.  Sorry, no post-salvage-procedure photo.  LOL!


All that frustration called for an INSTANT gratification!  This little thing whipped out in barely more than two evenings.  The pattern is:  #9 Crochet Jacket by Jenny King.


You'll notice there are no sleeves yet...


I'm debating whether or not to leave it a vest...  I tend to wear vests more than jackets...


Any thoughts???  Jacket or vest??

The Mystery Mitts are blocking!  Woo hoo!

I've started another FUN little quickie project, too.  Now, to just decide about sleeves or no sleeves and then plot the next project.  ;)

May you find some little INSTANT gratification to light your day!

blessings ~ tanna


15 comments:

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Love your grey tunic/vest. Leave the crochet as a vest also. Very nice. I, in turn, have made some progress myself. Changed from metal to bamboo needles. Not as pointy, but it is working. Also decided to do the stockinette as going right into lace was obviously a problem. Possibly eratta. Anyway, I am doing so much better. Thanks for your encouragement.

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Oh I love them both! I always love to see your finishes, they are always so nice. The belt looks fab, by the way. I am looking forward to seeing the mitts. Wishing you a day filled with much joy and many blessings sweet friend. :)

Anonymous said...

I think it looks pretty good with no sleeves. I love all those colors together. Looks like it will be nice and snuggly.

Judy S. said...

I vote no sleeves, too. The grey vest looks great; whatever you did to it worked. I am anxious to see those mitts; mine have fought me to the finish of only #1......not very anxious to start the second one either. Bad me!

Christine said...

If ANYONE could salvage a crochets sweater, it’s you!
But the multi- colored sweater is perfect!
Well done!

podso said...

Could you shrink your tunic a bit? It sure is lovely. And the vest--wow that is so cute. Love the colors. And I vote for vest. It almost looks like it has cap sleeves. Good job and if you leave it as a vest, it's already finished!

Linda said...

Thi Tanna...
You are a wizard with the hook and the needles!
I like the 2nd one as a vest I think....suits you to a tee!
Enjoy the rest of your week...
Cheers!
Linda :o)

karen said...

what is a swatch (snort). I tend to wing it and hope for the best, most of the time I am close to my target ...

Lynne said...

Leave it as a vest for sure!
Love both pieces . . .
Like . . . LOVE THEM . . .
I am such a vest gal . . . thought the “grey” was me for a minute!

steph said...

Swatch? Really?? Well, sometimes I measure the work as I go....but that's about it. (I ALWAYS go down one or two needle sizes so why swatch?!?) Both turned out great!! And I really can't see sleeves in the crocheted piece. I think it's perfect as is. Lovely!!

La Table De Nana said...

Oh leave this beautiful darling little number as is! Then make another w/ sleeves..why not 2 they are so pretty!♥♥

I too like the oversized grey one..what's not to like..Average knitter..oh lololol!!
Expert is more like it.

Needles and Wool said...

I really like the gray vest you made. Too bad it was too large, but good you will be able to wear it with the belt and having done those modifications. I like your crocheted vest. I like it this way without the sleeves and you can wear a long sleeved top underneath. It is so colorful and fun! hope you enjoy it :)

handmade by amalia said...

I like the vest as is, I wouldn't add sleeves, and it is really pretty. The gigantic sweater is lovely as well, I'm glad you were able to salvage it with cleverness and accessories. My instant gratification came in the shape of a pear-chocolate cake shared with a friend in a nice coffee shop. I'm all set for today :-)
Amalia
xo

knittingaddict said...

I made the same vest/sweater, its been in a box for over a year. I wanted the sleeves, but cannot understand the decreases. I am thinking I might add knit sleeves for mine. Sandy

Mereknits said...

Ah Tanna, I feel your pain I do that all the time. I sort of swatch then make adaptaions and mess it all up. The sleeves are too tight of the sweater too big. It never seems like I can get it quite right. I love the vest anyway, try it over leggings and you will be looking stylish. I also love the crochet vest, sweater or vest with this one, you can't go wrong.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Numbers 6:24-26

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.